Senior Assessment Freeze  (35 ILCS 200/15-172)

To Qualify:


Property must be owner-occupied by the senior on January 1st of the application year and January 1st of the prior year.


Property owner must be 65 years of age or older in the application year.


Effective for 2023 payable in 2024 tax year, the maximum allowable household income is $65,000.


Property must be a residential single family home, town home, or condominium.


Documents Needed:


Proof of income from prior year which includes the Federal 1040 Income Tax Returns (if filed), or Social Security Statement(s), 1099 Forms, Pension and/or Annuity information.



Senior Freeze application fully completed and signed. The application is available at our office, the DuPage County Supervisor of Assessments office or their website –





Please bring the required documents into our Assessor's Office. We will photocopy all documents and return the originals to you. We will ask you to sign the application form and will notarize your signature. All information is kept strictly confidential and is not part of any public record.




The Senior Assessment Freeze provides an exemption of assessment increases, except for new additions to the home, for as long as you continue to qualify for the Assessment Freeze. If your assessment is increased by $4,000 then your exempted amount is $4,000. If the assessment is increased by $10,000 then the exempted amount is $10,000. This has the effect of "freezing your assessment," but note that your tax bill can still increase if the local taxing bodies serving your area choose to increase their tax rates. 


Questions? Call our office at 630-653-5220.